ESR’s exhibit focuses on the concept of density and the ocean by providing several hands-on activities which explore the properties of density. Participants get to:
- Compare objects of the same volume but different weight.
- Play the “Sink or Float” guessing game: compares the density of solid objects to water using an aquarium.
- Observe the different densities of liquids in a density tower.
- Experiment with cold/salty water and warm/fresh water using beakers, colored water and pipettes to see the density differences.
- Discuss how density is important in the ocean.