ESR is committed to promoting public awareness of the excitement and significance of scientific research, with an emphasis on the ocean’s role in climate.
Our scientists are very interested in working one-on-one with teachers (middle school – high school) to help and inspire students in their exploration of ocean science in the classroom. ESR has helped with class projects, developed science websites with students, and even sent a teacher to Antarctica. Please contact Susan Howard (Seattle, WA) or Laurie Padman (Corvallis, OR) if you would like to develop a working relationship with a scientist and examine the ways in which we could help you bring oceanography to your classroom.
We also participate in a variety of other outreach work: career fests, science fairs, adult lectures, school talks, and education seminars. Some of our recent work is shown below:
- 4/26/23 – Edmonds Heights K-12 Science Fair
- 3/01/23 – Echo Lake Elementary Science Night
- 7/22/22 – Jill S. Crafts Summer Scholars Program: Energy Solutions for Climate Change
- 5/28/22 – Read-a-Rama e-camp: Digital Deep-Sea Dive, all about oceanography
- 2/27/20 – Echo Lake Elementary Science Night
- 6/01/19 – Shoreline STEM Festival and Science Fair
- 4/17/19 – Edmonds Heights Science Fair
- 4/15/19 – ESR’s Susan Howard gave a talk to Marine Biology students at Glacier Peak High school on oceanography and research in the polar regions.
- 3/28/19 – ESR’s Susan Howard gave a series of talks to 5th and 6th graders at Seaview Elementary’s Science Expo.
- 12/4/18 – Rosetta-Ice presentation – Skype chat with Providence High School and K-3rd grade after school STEM workshop.
- 10/30/18 – Sky Valley Education Center Harry Potter Workshop
- 10/27/18-10/28/18 – Seattle Geek Girl Con
- 5/05/18 – Shoreline STEM Festival
- 4/20/18 – John Rogers Elementary Science Night
- 3/08/18 – Juanita Elementary STEM Night
- 2/15/18 – Lake Forest Park Elementary Science Discovery Night
- 2/08/18 – Echo Lake Elementary Science Night
- 1/25/18 – ESR’s Susan Howard gave a talk to students at Glacier Peak High school on oceanography and research in Antarctica
- 1/17/18 – ESR’s Susan Howard returned to Thoreau Elementary to talk to the students about her experiences in Antarctica
- 10/13/2017 – ESR’s Susan Howard introduced Thoreau Elementary 5th grade students to the Rosetta-Ice project and her upcoming trip to Antarctica, which they will be following through her blog.
- 9/30/2017 & 10/1/2017 – Seattle Geek Girl Con
- 5/20/2017 – Shoreline STEM Festival
- 4/19/2017 – Edmonds Heights Science Fair
- 2/15/2017 – Lake Forest Park Elementary Science Discovery
- 1/26/2017 – Echo Lake Elementary Science Night
- 11/1/2016 – ESR’s Senior Scientist Emeritus, Dr. Robin Muench, presented a lecture on Understanding Climate Change and the Role of The Oceans at the Wenatchee River Institute in Leavenworth, WA
- 10/17/2016 & 10/24/2016 – ESR researcher Susan Howard gave presentations on “Atmospheric Circulation” and “Ocean Circulation” to a group of 6th grade students at Woodinville Montessori School.
- 10/8/2016 &-10/9/2016 – ESR Researchers Daria Halkides and Susan Howard debuted content from the Ice Sheet System Model (ISSM) Virtual Earth System Lab (VESL) at Geek Girl Con (GGC) 2016 in Seattle, WA
- 3/25/2016 – Hollywood Hill Elementary STEM fair
- 5/14/2016 – Shoreline STEM Festival
- 3/7/2016 – Dr. Lagerloef’s presented “Climate Science in the Space Age” at Open Mic Science Night on Bainbridge Island, WA.
- 2/11/2016 – Echo Lake Elementary Science Night
- 1/14/2016 – Juanita Elementary STEM night